Marin County Public Health continues to work in close partnership with Marin County Office of Education and leaders of our public, private, parochial and independent schools to prepare for and facilitate the eventual reopening of K-12 schools for in-person instruction.
- Reopening Guidance
- Reopening Status
- News Updates
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Information
Reopening Guidance for All Schools
As of September 29, K-12 schools that complete a School Site Specific Protection Plan are permitted to open. The decision and timing of when to open rests with each school and school district, and schools are not required to open if not ready.
- Marin County Public Health Guided Return to Site-Based Classroom Instruction ("30 point plan")
- California Department of Public Health: COVID-19 Industry Guidance for Schools and School-Based Programs
- California Department of Public Health: COVID-19 and Reopening In-Person Learning Framework for K-12 Schools
- California Department of Public Health: Guidance Related to Cohorts (and FAQ)
- School Site-Specific Protection Plan - Template
- School Site-Specific Protection Plan - Process & Submission Status
Student & Family Resources
- Student & Family Handbook on COVID-19 Safety: Tier 2 Red Version 2.23.21 (English) (Español)
- COVID-19 Safety Decision Tree for Schools: Tier 3 Orange Version Effective 3.29.21 (English & Español)
- Quarantine Guidance for Families (English) (Español)
- Safety Guidance:
School Status Dashboard
A dashboard that tracks the reopening status of schools in Marin County. Icons on the map represent elementary, middle and high schools, including public, private, independent and parochial schools.
- Green icons represent schools that have reopened to in-person instruction (at least 10% of a school's enrollment has returned to in-person instruction)
- Grey icons represent schools that offer remote/virtual learning only.
Click on an icon to reveal the school's name, district, type, and reopening status. This data is maintained by Marin County Office of Education and the Marin County Emergency Operations Center.
School-related News Updates
- Oct. 19: News Release - New Tools Assist with Reopening of Schools
- Sept. 30: Status Update – Schools allowed to reopen: now what?
- Sept. 3: News Release – 15 Marin Schools Cleared to Open Sept 8
- August 12: News Release – Marin Revises Restrictions on Childcare and Youth Programs
- August 4: News Release – State Outlines Criteria for Waivers Allowing Classroom Instruction
- July 22: News Release – State Outlines Path to Resume Classroom Learning
- July 15: News Release – Delay Recommended for In-Classroom Learning
- June 18: News Release – Guidelines Released for Schools to Resume in Fall
- View More News Releases
Frequently Asked Questions
Browse a collection of the most frequently asked questions regarding schools, reopening and classroom safety, curated from our COVID-19 Response Team.
- Marin County Office of Education (MCOE) "Rethinking Schools" website
- "Discussions with Public Health" Series (hosted by MCOE)
Marin Public Health has response team dedicated to answering school-related and non-medical COVID-19 questions and concerns. Contact them by email or by phone: 415-473-7191